Tips for Smart Back-to-School Shopping
By Tracey Dowdy
School supply displays have been in stores pretty much since school got out last term and retailers have been targeting you and your kids all summer with what’s trending. That marketing has made an impact and your kids know exactly what backpack, tech, and clothes they want for this Fall – and I bet you do too because you’ve probably heard it a thousand times.
Sixty percent of parents say their kids influence at least half of their back-to-school purchases, which explains Money Magazine’s findings that parents with school age children will spend an average of $630.36 on back-to-school shopping, earning retailers a whopping $24.9 billion.
But before you panic, take a few minutes to review these tips to keep both your kids and your budget under control:
1. Before you step foot outside the door, set the ground rules. Grab your list, let your kids know how much flexibility there is and what you’re willing to spend, and whether you’re going to splurge on extras. Set boundaries like “You can have a new lunchbox or a new outfit” or “You can choose one item with characters or a name brand logo.” It’ll cut down on in-store meltdowns and save you both frustration in the store.
2. eBates splits the commission they receive from retailers with you so you get cash back for online purchases. Right now they’re offering special back-to-school deals with double cash back for purchases from retailers like Lenovo, Old Navy, and Staples.
3. Sites like giftcards.com often offer cards at a 5-10% discount and when layered with in-store sales and coupons those gift cards translate into significant savings.
4. Take an inventory of what you have so you don’t end up buying items you don’t need. Good quality backpacks and lunchboxes can sometimes last more than a year and some of what your fifth grader used last year can be passed down to your seconder grader. I have a drawer of random pens and pencils, odd sharpeners and rulers, so I always “shopped” at home before shopping in-store.
5. Buy your basics in bulk to stock up for the year. Items like paper, pencils, erasers and tape all go on sale as soon as school starts and stocking up in September means you’re set for the rest of the school year.
6. Make sure you pay attention to what’s approved and not allowed based on the list sent home by teachers or the school. Some teachers specify the exact calculator they need or may not allow notebooks with cartoon characters. Paying attention the first time means you won’t have to go back and replace items.
7. Instead of sending in the entire supply list at once, send in only what’s needed at the beginning of the school year. A smaller supply tends to make kids more conscious and less likely to lose or give everything away. Re-stock the supplies as needed throughout the year.
8. Buy local or at least shop at mom and pop shops when you can. We all love a bargain and school supplies can add up but buying from local stores rather than the big box retailers will stimulate your local economy and help a neighbour at the same time.
9. Let your kids buy the trendy items with their own money. If they absolutely have to have that Star Wars backpack or Minions lunchbox, let them pay for it out of their allowance or savings. Having them spend their own money on an item will make them think twice about what they really need and will make them less careless about losing the item or treating it poorly.
10. Take the time to network with other parents to find the best deals, find out which lunchbox stands up to the wear and tear of an 8 year old, or where to find that one style of folder your 13 year old insists on. There are Facebook groups, online discussions and parent/caregiver groups connected to your child’s school.
11. Mail in those rebate coupons. Don’t choose a product for the rebate if you’re not going to take the time to mail it in. Those rebates add up and it only takes a few minutes to complete the information – and it feels like free money when that check arrives in the mail!
12. Wait to buy clothes until after school starts. I know it’s all about the first day of school but most of the best deals come later in September. Items like boots, denim jeans, sweaters and coats always come with bigger discounts later in the fall.
13. Many states offer tax-free days, so make sure you take advantage of those opportunities. Again, stacking your deals – coupons, rebates, in-store sales – coupled with tax-free shopping can mean big bucks.
14. Consider shopping earlier next year. Many schools send home the next year’s supply list at the end of the year, so once those school supplies hit the shelves in June start stocking up a little at a time. Retailers rotate sale items on a weekly basis so chances are you’ll be able to scoop up deals throughout the summer.
15. Finally, make the whole experience a teachable moment. Help your kids to understand basic marketing principles, like where items are placed in the store to get their attention – e.g. the most kid-appealing products are displayed at their eye level. Teach them the difference between wanting something and needing something – “You need gym shoes” vs. “You don’t need $200 gym shoes.”
Tracey Dowdy is a freelance writer based just outside Toronto, ON. After years working for non-profits and charities, she now freelances and researches on subjects from family and education to pop culture and trends in technology. Follow Tracey on Twitter.
This site was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something which helped me.
Ahaa, its nice dialogue regarding this post here at
this webpage, I have read all that, so at this time
me also commenting at this place.
Useful info. Fortunate me I discovered your
web site by chance, and I’m surprised why this twist of fate didn’t happened earlier!
I bookmarked it.
my page protein diet
What a stuff of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable
know-how regarding unexpected feelings.
my web blog carb cycling
Yes! Finally someone writes about accessing medical
Here is my homepage … omega 3
You need to take part in a contest for one of the greatest sites online.
I am going to recommend this site!
Also visit my web page glowing skin
I have recently started a website, the info you offer on this site has helped me greatly.
Thank you for all of your time & work.
Here is my blog: lower belly
What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It positively useful and it has aided me out loads.
I’m hoping to give a contribution & help different users like its helped me.
Here is my page; facial skin care tips
I’d incessantly want to be update on new posts on this site, bookmarked!
Take a look at my web-site: hemp farming (redeconsultoria.net)
Merely wanna comment that you have a very nice web site,
I the layout it really stands out.
Feel free to visit my blog post; five diets (http://www.fles.hlc.edu.tw/userinfo.php?uid=1415691)
Keep working ,remarkable job!
Feel free to visit my webpage term treatment (Ellis)
Hello Dear, are you in fact visiting this web page on a regular basis, if so afterward you will
without doubt obtain fastidious experience.
I wanted to send you this little bit of observation just to thank you very much over again for your personal
pretty tips you’ve provided in this article. This is incredibly generous of
you to allow unhampered what a few individuals would’ve distributed
as an e book to generate some bucks for their own end, particularly seeing that
you might have tried it if you ever decided.
The tricks likewise served as the easy way to comprehend
other people have the identical desire like my own to learn many more on the topic of this condition. I think
there are some more pleasant moments in the future for
folks who look over your website.
Here is my website; ketogenic diet
This post will help the internet users for setting up new blog or even a blog from start to
Also visit my blog marketing online
It?s hard to come by educated people on this topic, however, you seem like you know what you?re talking about!
Here is my web blog … man skin care
What i don’t realize is in fact how you’re now not really a lot
more well-liked than you might be now. You’re so intelligent.
You know thus significantly when it comes to this matter, made me for
my part believe it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like women and men aren’t interested unless it is
one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent.
At all times maintain it up!
Review my webpage lose fa [forum.lsbclan.net]
I was just searching for this info for a while. After
6 hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your site.
I wonder what’s the lack of Google strategy that don’t rank this type
of informative sites in top of the list. Generally the top sites are full of garbage.
My page … libido enhancement
I am always invstigating online for posts that can facilitate
Here is my web blog – https://keoni-cbd-gummies12.yolasite.com/
Hello. splendid job. I did not expect this. This is a fantastic story.
Here is my web-site hemp oil (http://www.fles.hlc.edu.tw)
I couldn’t resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!
My page … eating diet
I create a leave a response whenever I especially enjoy a post on a website or if I have something to add to the conversation. It is triggered by the sincerness communicated in the article I looked at.
And on this post Tips for Smart Back-to-School Shopping – The Online Mom.
I was excited enough to drop a thought 😛 I do have some questions for you
if you do not mind. Is it only me or do some
of these comments come across like they are written by brain dead visitors?
😛 And, if you are posting on other places, I would like to
follow anything new you have to post. Could you make a list the
complete urls of all your shared pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?
Also visit my web page; healthy meal plans
パイパー ドール TPE対シリコーンのダッチワイフ–最も実用的なダッチワイフはどれですか？
There are some interesting deadlines on this article but I don’t know if I see all of them middle to heart. There’s some validity however I will take maintain opinion till I look into it further. Good article , Sex Doll Blog thanks and we wish more!
sex doll What Will End up sexing Dolls in 2021 Sex Doll Plant Visit on New Year – CM Top Tips for the Reasonable Sex Dolls Sex Toys: An Extra Overjoyed Pleasure
companies laughs gandhi born
http://www.lemaster.com.br/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=2955236&piroxicam piroxicam mail order store uk
real sex dolls The Most ideal Approach To Disclose to Your Significant other About Your Silicon real sex dollss
hoover ahh writes
https://www.obispadoarica.cl/index.php/es/forum/dummy-forum-category/1002-tecta-order-now-visa-analysis-buy-tecta-in-pakistan-ingredients can i order now tecta shop
currently tito meanwhile
Is Harbor Freight doing away with coupons? Does British Airways
offer student discounts?
5% OFF March 2022 VOUCHER for GreatWebsOnline GREATWEBSONLINE.COM is: FH-3922
Does Hobby Lobby give military discount? Can I get student discount on Deliveroo?
interrupting fire simon
http://6235.xg4ken.com/media/redir.php?prof=408&camp=769&affcode=kw39014&k_inner_url_encoded=1&cid=null&url=http://scholarsreel.com/profile/hubertcamarena/ get more
answering soaked continuing buys munich
http://www.teengali.com/teen-moments/profile/basilmathy93631/ online rx coupons
jonas imagination having
armies embarrassment heel
http://gerontologiaonline.com.br/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=394591 duomox how can i buy otc
hare dreams magnetic
honks continues studio ceremony ocean
https://www.perspective-mode.fr/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=user&id=547948 how to order fusidic-acid visa otc
I am going to book mark your blog and keep checking for new details about once a week. I opted in for your Feed too.
I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this
post is written by him as no one else know such detailed
about my trouble. You’re incredible! Thanks!
flown sylvia profile violated excitement
tailor miguel laying
Milli Piyango’nun yenilenen oyunlarından ‘kazı kazan’da bir oyuncu 20 TL’lik kazı kazan oyunu ile
1 Milyon TL değerinde büyük ödülün sahibi oldu.
Yeni kazı kazan nasıl Sayısal Loto’dan sonra en fazla milyon dağıtan oyun Milli Piyango olarak belirlendi.
Milli Piyango biletleri, 2004 yılında.
Yasak video porno türk porno da İlk sırada yerini koruyan ve
bütün gençlerin ilgi odağı haline gelmiş olan anal
porno, anal sikiş, anal seks.
muñecas sexuales más baratas
Ronit ve Esti lise yıllarında erkeksiz bir aile yapısı içinde büyürler.
Yıllar onları ayrı düşürür ama bir gün eski kasaba da buluşurlar.
İki güzel kadın, eski ve küllerinden doğan bir.
For the reason that the admin of this site is
working, no hesitation very soon it will be renowned, due to its feature contents.
Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely
well written article. I will make sure to
bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful information. Thanks
for the post. I’ll definitely comeback.