By Tracey Dowdy
Facebook announced changes that make it easier to manage what appears in your news feed and who can comment on your posts. Now you’ll have more options for who and what you see in your news feed and the audience who can interact with your posts. Remember, by default, everyone can comment on your public posts, even people who don’t follow you.
To change who can comment on your public posts:
- Click the down button in the top right corner of Facebook.
- Select Settings & Privacy, then click Settings.
- Click Public Posts on the left.
- Go to Who Can Follow Me and make sure Public is selected.
- Click Edit next to Public Post Comments.
- Select who is allowed to comment on your public posts:
- Public: Includes everyone, even people not following you.
- Friends: Includes your friends on Facebook. If anyone else is tagged in a post, the audience also expands to include the tagged person and their friends.
- Friends of Friends: Includes all of your friends and any friends that they have.
You can also choose who can comment on individual public posts on your profile. This action applies to that post only; it doesn’t change your settings for who can comment on your other public posts or your public profile information.
To change who can comment on an individual public post on your profile:
Go to the public post on your profile that you want to change who can comment on it.
- Click the three dots in the top right of the post.
- Click ‘Who can comment on your post?”
- Select who is allowed to comment on your public post:
- Profiles and Pages you mention
If a profile or Page that wants to comment on your post isn’t in your selected comment audience:
- They won’t see the comment box below the post.
- They’ll know that you’ve limited who can comment on your post.
Tracey Dowdy is a freelance writer based just outside Washington DC. After years working for non-profits and charities, she now freelances, edits, and researches on subjects ranging from family and education to history and trends in technology. Follow Tracey on Twitter.