I’ve Tidied Up with Marie Kondo – Now What?
By Tracey Dowdy
If you’re on social media, you’ve likely heard of Marie Kondo, the tidying expert, best-selling author, and founder of KonMari Media, Inc. She’s also the star of Netflix’s wildly popular “Tidying Up with Marie Kondo.”
Inspired by her New York Times best-selling book, “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up,” Kondo’s show has sent millions of Americans into their closets, attics, and basements to purge the accumulated detritus of a lifetime. Instead of attacking the project room by room, Kondo suggests tidying by category – start with your clothes, then move on to books, papers, komono (miscellaneous items), and, finally, those sentimental items you’ve been hanging onto out of obligation or guilt. You keep only those things that hold meaning for you, and you dispose of or donate everything else. Say “thank you for your service” – then let them go.
Kondo’s minimalist approach has struck a chord, and as a result, charity shops are overrun with donations from clothing to jewelry, small appliances, and furniture. There are a number of organizations that will accept new, gently used, and (in select cases) damaged items. Of course, it can be very confusing deciding who and where to donate.
Before donating to any organization, I recommend starting with Charity Navigator, a site that provides objective ratings allowing you to find charities you can trust and know your donation is going to a noble organization that shares your values. Another great resource is a list created by Forbes of America’s Top Charities for last year.
Once you’ve found the charity you wish to support, use this general guide to what Goodwill, Salvation Army, and other smaller charities and organizations will and won’t accept as donations. One final tip – it’s always best to contact the local donation center if you’re unsure.
- Clothes – should be laundered, odor-free as well as free of stains, rips, and have emptied pockets.
- Linens – Like clothing, towels and bed linens like sheets, comforters, and blankets should be laundered, free of stains, rips, and odors.
- Tools – kitchen, lawn, and garden tools, as well as hand and small power tools can be donated as long they’re in good working order, free of rust and fraying cords.
- Small appliances – Toasters, blenders, food processors and other small appliances can be donated as long as they’re in good working condition. Include accessories and attachments if possible.
- Books – both new and gently used books are acceptable, but books that are heavily worn, have missing pages, torn covers, water damaged, or promote hate speech are not likely to be accepted.
- Electronics – Some organizations like Goodwill accept electronics whether they’re working or not, so it’s best to check before you donate. Also, be sure to wipe the hard drive to delete any personal information.
- Vehicles – If your garage clean out includes a vehicle, there are several charities that will accept donations regardless of condition. Check this guide from Charity Watch for tips for donating a car to charity.
RECYCLE OR DUMP:
- Baby equipment – Most places do not accept donations of baby products like high chairs, car seats, cribs, high chairs, and toys unless you can prove they meet current CPSC safety standards, and even then, they may not accept the item. Your best bet is to contact The Good Plus Foundation or The Pregnancy Centre for a list of products and equipment they will accept.
- Mattresses are breeding grounds for mites, mold, mildew, and are practically impossible to clean Instead, you should just recycle NOTE: sleeper sofas fall under the same category and cannot be donated.
- Televisions – CRT TVs (TVs that aren’t flat screens) cannot be donated. Moreover, it’s illegal to dispose of CRT TVs in the trash, so you’ll need to find a recycling center that accepts them. This is a category that’s best to call ahead and check the donation guidelines – for example, Goodwill won’t take TVs that are more than five years old.
Tracey Dowdy is a freelance writer based just outside Washington DC. After years working for non-profits and charities, she now freelances, edits and researches on subjects ranging from family and education to history and trends in technology. Follow Tracey on Twitter.
You are so cool! I don’t suppose I have read through
something like this before. So good to find someone with a
few unique thoughts on this issue. Really.. thanks for starting this up.
This site is something that is required on the web, someone with a bit of originality!
Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around
on Yahoo News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
This is very fascinating, You’re a very professional blogger.
I have joined your rss feed and look forward to in quest of extra of your magnificent post.
Also, I have shared your website in my social networks
I don’t know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else encountering issues with your
website. It appears as though some of the text on your content are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
This may be a problem with my browser because I’ve had this happen previously.
What’s up, just wanted to tell you, I liked this article.
It was helpful. Keep on posting!
Since the admin of this web site is working, no question very quickly it will be renowned, due to
its quality contents.
My brother recommended I would possibly like this
website. He was totally right. This submit truly made my day.
You can not imagine just how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thank you!
We’re a gaggle of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our
community. Your web site provided us with helpful information to work on. You have performed an impressive job
and our entire community will be thankful to you.
Hola! I’ve been following your blog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout
out from Dallas Tx! Just wanted to mention keep up the
There’s definately a lot to know about this issue. I love all of the points you
I quite like reading an article that can make people think.
Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!
I got this website from my friend who told me concerning this web page and now this time I am
browsing this site and reading very informative
articles or reviews at this place.
I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality
articles or blog posts in this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this website.
Studying this info So i am satisfied to convey that I’ve an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I
discovered just what I needed. I so much certainly will make certain to do not overlook this site and give it a glance regularly.
What’s up colleagues, how is everything, and what you
wish for to say concerning this paragraph, in my view its really remarkable for me.
Fine way of describing, and pleasant piece of writing to get
facts concerning my presentation topic, which i am going to
deliver in school.
It’s very effortless to find out any topic on web as compared to textbooks, as
I found this post at this website.
It is appropriate time to make some plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy.
I have learn this post and if I could I want to recommend you few fascinating things or suggestions.
Maybe you can write next articles relating to this article.
I want to read more issues about it!
This paragraph provides clear idea designed for the new
users of blogging, that actually how to do running a blog.
My spouse and I stumbled over here different web
page and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so i am just following
you. Look forward to going over your web page repeatedly.
fantastic put up, very informative. I’m wondering why the other experts of this sector do not realize this.
You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!
Hello friends, its impressive article regarding tutoringand
entirely explained, keep it up all the time.
I was suggested this website through my cousin. I am not certain whether or not this submit is written by way of him as nobody else know such unique approximately my difficulty.
You are incredible! Thanks!
What’s up to every one, because I am genuinely keen of reading this web site’s post to be updated
on a regular basis. It includes pleasant data.
I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog.
Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself?
Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one today.
hey there and thank you for your info – I’ve definitely picked up something new from right here.
I did however expertise a few technical issues using this website, as I experienced
to reload the web site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly.
I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances
times will very frequently affect your placement in google and
can damage your high quality score if ads and marketing
with Adwords. Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email
and can look out for much more of your respective intriguing content.
Make sure you update this again very soon.
Excellent article. Keep posting such kind of information on your site.
Im really impressed by your blog.
Hello there, You’ve done a great job. I will certainly
digg it and in my opinion recommend to my friends.
I am confident they will be benefited from this site.
Hello terrific blog! Does running a blog such as this require a massive
amount work? I have no understanding of coding but I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
Anyways, should you have any ideas or techniques for
new blog owners please share. I understand this is
off subject but I simply wanted to ask. Thank you!