Why You Get Unfriended On Facebook
By Tracey Dowdy
Christopher Sibona, a computer science PhD student at the University of Colorado, has bravely stepped in to address a grave social issue: why people get unfriended on Facebook.
Sibona has conducted several surveys focusing on why users choose to disconnect from “Friends” on Facebook. Recognizing that he’s gathering data from a narrow population, Sibona’s work has nevertheless produced interesting results.
I’ve conducted my own far less scientific and credentialed survey and, coupled with Sibona’s results, here are some of the reasons why individuals get unfriended:
1. You aren’t friends offline. Maybe you met once or twice; maybe you have mutual friends; maybe you were looking for a business connection and thought this would be a good lead. In any case, you aren’t friends in the real world so there’s no need to pretend in the virtual world.
2. You’re a creeper. You use Facebook to stalk family members and don’t know how to balance real life and life online. We’ve all done our share of stalking (who hasn’t checked to see who got fat or went bald since high school?) but these friends have raised it to a level that would dazzle Edward Snowden.
3. You’re never online. Maybe you joined Facebook because everyone else was doing it – we’ve all caved to a little peer pressure now and then – but somewhere along the line you lost interest. No problem. Happens to the best of us.
4. You’re a Debbie Downer. Your life isn’t filled with ups and downs, just downs and down even further, and whether because of geography or relationship you are not close enough for friends to be able to help beyond platitudes that may seem patronizing.
5. In the words of my friend Deb, “TOO MANY CATS.”
6. You post in a language other than English.
7. Your comments or posts are too often disparaging to individuals, organizations or groups you know your friend(s) support. Which leads us to number 8.
8. You consistently post status updates to provoke debate and argument. Religion, politics, human rights…you take a polarizing position and invite controversy. It’s your page and you are free to post on whatever topic you choose, but understand that many are not interested in online debate and will simply choose to walk away.
9. You take pieces of information that may be unrelated and piece them together to gossip. Even if what you’re repeating is true, it’s still gossip. And yes, even though we both know that if individuals don’t want their personal business discussed it shouldn’t be posted in the first place, until Facebook somehow develops a Breathalyzer or maturity meter, it’s up to us to be the better person.
10. The English language.
a. Your spelling and grammar are atrocious.
b. You post as if you’re texting or this is a newspaper ad and you pay per letter.
c. You are a grammar Nazi. Even if you’re right, no one likes the Nazis except other Nazis. Is that the company you want to keep?
As an interesting side note, Sibona has found that the individual who received the friend request is more likely to be the one to do the un-friending.
Tracey Dowdy is a freelance writer based just outside Toronto, ON. After years working for non-profits and charities, she now freelances and researches on subjects from family and education to pop culture and trends in technology.
hey there and thank you for your information – I have certainly picked up anything new
from right here. I did however expertise some technical points using this website, as I experienced to reload the website a
lot of times previous to I could get it to load correctly.
I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading
instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score
if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this
RSS to my email and can look out for a lot more of your respective
interesting content. Ensure that you update this again soon.
Wow! At last I got a webpage from where I know how to in fact obtain valuable
information regarding my study and knowledge.
Here is my blog post – poker online depo pulsa
Hello, just wanted to say, I loved this article. It was inspiring.
Keep on posting!
What’s up to all, how is everything, I think every
one is getting more from this web page, and your views are good in support of new viewers.
What’s up to all, the contents present at this website are truly amazing for people knowledge, well, keep up the good work fellows.
Hello! I know this is kinda off topic however I’d figured I’d ask.
Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe
guest writing a blog article or vice-versa? My site goes over a lot
of the same topics as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other.
If you might be interested feel free to shoot me an email.
I look forward to hearing from you! Awesome blog by the way!
Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of.
I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that they plainly don’t know
about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well
as defined out the whole thing without having side-effects ,
people could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more.
Pretty section of content. I just stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to
assert that I get actually enjoyed account your
blog posts. Any way I will be subscribing to your augment and even I achievement you access consistently fast.
I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!
I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later.
All the best
To the theonlinemom.com owner, Your posts are always well-supported by research and data.
Hi theonlinemom.com webmaster, You always provide great information and insights.
Hello theonlinemom.com administrator, Your posts are always well written.
Hi theonlinemom.com webmaster, Your posts are always a great source of knowledge.
To the theonlinemom.com webmaster, You always provide clear explanations and definitions.
Dear theonlinemom.com administrator, Your posts are always on point.
Dear theonlinemom.com owner, Good job!
Hi theonlinemom.com webmaster, Your posts are always well presented.
Hello theonlinemom.com webmaster, Your posts are always well-received by the community.
Hello theonlinemom.com administrator, Thanks for the well-organized post!
Hello theonlinemom.com webmaster, You always provide great information and insights.
Hello theonlinemom.com administrator, Thanks for the well-structured and well-presented post!
Hi theonlinemom.com owner, You always provide in-depth analysis and understanding.
Hi theonlinemom.com admin, You always provide in-depth analysis and understanding.