How to ‘unfriend‘ someone on Facebook
You have spent hours on your Facebook page, built up a healthy collection of friends, and have started to post regular updates, family photos, and even the occasional video.
But something has been bugging you: the more time you spend on Facebook, the less happy you are about some of your so-called friends. In the rush to get to that 50+ popularity threshold, perhaps you weren’t quite as discerning as you should have been.
Maybe it’s that girl from college who you never really liked and whose political posts you find so annoying. Or maybe it’s that creepy-looking guy from your old workplace who you friended late one night in a moment of weakness.
Whatever the reason, it’s time to trim the fat and turn your friend list into what it should be – a group of people who you can happily share thoughts and photos with without worrying about where they might end up.
Luckily, Facebook makes it almost as easy to ‘unfriend’ someone as they do to friend them. And you don’t have to worry about offending anyone. Facebook doesn’t send notifications when you unfriend someone. Sure, the ex-friend might notice they have one less friend than they had yesterday, but when everyone has 100+ friends it will be hard for them to know it’s you that has dropped off the list.
(Note: if you are unfriending a current or former boyfriend, this might not slip by them so easily!)
Here’s how you do it:
- Sign into your Facebook account and click on the Friends tab on the left-hand side of your home page. (Or on the Friends tab under your Timeline photo if you have switched to the Timeline format.)
- Enter the name of the friend you want to unfriend in the search box at top of the page.
- Your friend's name will appear to the left of the search box. Click on his name to bring up his home page.
- Click on the Friends box at the top of the page (or under the Timeline photo). Scroll down and click on Unfriend.
- A confirmation window will appear asking you if you are sure you want to remove that friend. Click on Remove from Friends.
And that’s all there is to it. No notifications, no more annoying posts, and a little more peace of mind!
Comment by larisha, posted 9/1/2012, 4:48 AM:
i still don't understand how to unfriend someone who doesn'e have a timeline. i do know how to unfriend someone who has a timeline. but someone who does not have a timeline, i still don't know.
Comment by Jean Parks, posted 5/15/2012, 8:07 PM:
It is so good of you to post basic info & tips about Facebook! The platform is fun but it is so confusing to people who are new to it!